Back to Home Page >>
Glendale, AZ - Be Glendale Monsoon Ready
Be on the Lookout for Lightning
The Glendale Fire Department responds to several calls for lightning-related fires or human strikes each year. To help prevent lightning-related accidents and injuries, safety officials offer the following tips:
- Stay inside. If you are outside when lightning appears, seek shelter immediately. Cars, trucks and other enclosed vehicles are generally safe. Keep windows rolled up and avoid contact with metal materials.
- Avoid lightning hot spots. Stay away from open fields, high land, trees, poles and standing bodies of water. Also, stay away from windows.
- Avoid water and metal. Do not swim or hold metal objects, including golf clubs and lawn chairs, when lightning is near.
- Stay off the phone. Even cordless phones can carry a shock if lightning strikes nearby. Cell phones should only be used if necessary.
- Avoid plumbing fixtures. Do not bathe or swim during a lightning storm because lightning can travel along metal pipes.
- If you can hear thunder, lightning is present. Even if you can’t see it, it’s there.