All About Art! The History of the Glendale Arts Commission
In 1983, Glendale City Council established an Ordinance designed to facilitate the inclusion of works of art in public areas. At the time, the Ordinance directed that 1/2 of 1 percent of total eligible CIP be deposited into the municipal arts fund.
In 1983, the City of Glendale also created the first Public Arts Commission in the state. Comprised of seven citizen volunteers the Commission acts in an advisory capacity to the City Council.
In 1991, the Ordinance was expanded to include the performing arts, and in 1998, the Ordinance was amended to increase funding to a full 1 percent.
The first two acquisitions that the Arts Commission purchased were “Arizona Promise,” by Robert McCall, and “Glendale Pioneers, 1910,” by Richard Szwarocky. These works were created specifically for Glendale in 1984.
In 2005, the Ordinance was amended to update definitions, procedures for expenditures and clarify terms, officers and duties for the Arts Commission. Click here for Ordinance No. 2474. Article VI. Public Art and Performing Arts in the Municipal Code Book.