FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 4, 2008
CONTACT: Diane Nevill, (623) 930-3554, Public Information Officer
Merideth Jenson-Benjamin, 623-930-3580, Teen Librarian
GLENDALE, Ariz. – It’s been more than a decade since the Glendale Main Library has had its auditorium stage filled with teenage rock bands. That is about to change with the Teen Battle of the Bands, which will be held on Saturday, August 9. Musical groups do not have to be just rock bands. The style of music can include alternative, blues, country, dance/techno, folk, hip-hop/rap, jam, jazz, funk…or any other type of music.
Prizes will be awarded to the first place band and to the runner up.
The rules and regulations for the Teen Battle of the Bands include:
For clarification of the rules, or for more information, call 623-930-3537 or e-mail our Teen Librarians.
- Bands must consist of at least two members, one of which plays an instrument for the majority of the performance.
- The band must be unsigned.
- The entire performance must be live – no prerecorded music is allowed. Music can be cover or original.
- Band members must be between the ages of 12-21; at least half of the band members must be no older than 18 years of age as of August 9, 2008.
- Bands must submit a registration form and a demo CD of at least four songs to the Glendale Main Library Youth Desk by 5 p.m. on July 19, 2008. Photos and bios are welcomed but not required.
- All bands will receive 30 minutes onstage. This includes all set up, playing and take-down time.
- Time slots between 5-8:30 p.m. will be assigned randomly on August 9, the day of the contest.
- In the event that more than six bands submit applications, some bands may not be able to participate. Bands will be notified of their acceptance by August 2, 2008.
- On performance day, band members must be dressed in clothing suitable for a family audience.
- Band name and performance lyrics must not contain any obscenities. The entire performance must be violence free and suitable for a teen audience.
- All performing bands must be present at Glendale Main Library by 4:30 p.m. on August 9 and must remain for the entirety of the event. The concert will be over at approximately 9:15 p.m.
- A panel of judges will score bands using a point system. Criteria to be considered include: Presentation, Synchronization, Song Quality and Originality, Band Enthusiasm and Audience Response. If a tie occurs, Song Quality and Originality and Audience Response will determine the winner.
- Band members must provide all musical instruments and equipment necessary for their performance. Band members are responsible for the security of their equipment. Fires, pyrotechnics, fog machines, etc., are not allowed.
- All band members must sign the registration form acknowledging they have read and understood the rules as outlined. All band members under the age of 18 are required to have a parent or guardian sign the document as well. Failure to comply with any contest rule as outlined in the rules and regulations may result in a band being disqualified.
- The Glendale Public Library reserves the right to make changes to the rules and regulations of the contest as well as be the final word in any dispute that should arise concerning the contest.
- Entry forms, along with rules and regulations, can be picked up at the Youth Desk at Glendale Main Library, 5959 W. Brown St.