City of Glendale, AZ - Click here to go to the city home page Facebook Logo Twitter Logo YouTube logo Flickr Logo

Glendale 24 x 7 Logo
Bullet point image to link for latest city news Latest City News
Arizona Organizing Committee Follow Your Money
Glendale, AZ
Glendale, AZ - Departments Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Services Glendale, AZ - Glendale, AZ - City Officials Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Residents Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Visitors Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Businesses Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Online Services Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Important Updates Glendale, AZ Glendale, AZ - Home Page
Glendale, AZ


Return to Community Revitalization Home Page
Go to Human Services Division Home Page
Go to Community Services Department Home Page

Yellow Page Break Image

Community Revitalization - Foreclosure Information

page break image

Quick Downloads

page break image

Concerned about your mortgage? There are FREE community resources that may be able to help.

Foreclosure Assistance

Homeowners who are either delinquent on their mortgage or face foreclosure now have a new, dedicated 24/7 toll-free help line to reach a local Arizona foreclosure counselor. This service is sponsored by the Governor’s Office: Call 1-877-448-1211. Read more (pdf)

You may also contact HUD for a list of foreclosure counselors: or 1-800-569-4287. For information in Spanish, visit:

Foreclosure Information Web site

There are several resources that contain excellent information, which address the challenges posed by the foreclosure crisis. This Web page features an array of resources to help you deal with a foreclosure situation whether you are a homeowner, a concerned resident or a prospective homebuyer.
Click here
to visit this site.

Informational documents to download:

Qualification Assistance Web Site

Making Home Affordable is a government website designed to help homeowners determine whether or not they qualify for a loan modification or refinancing. It's the site to start with to determine whether or not assistance is available to you.

page break image

5 Tips for Avoiding Foreclosure Scams - From The Federal Reserve Board

  1. Work only with a nonprofit, HUD-approved counselor.
    If you are looking for help to prevent foreclosure (
    ), be sure the counseling agency is on the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s list of approved agencies. Visit HUD’s website for an easily searchable list of HUD-approved housing counseling agencies ( hcc/hcs.cfm), or call 877-HUD-1515 (877-483-1515) for more information. If you are approached by foreclosure
    counselors—by mail, phone, or in person—make sure the counseling agency is HUD-approved before you do business with them.

  2. Don’t pay an arm and a leg.
    You should not have to pay hundreds—or thousands— of dollars. Most HUD-approved housing counselors provide no-cost counseling services and many more provide low-cost counseling. Do not agree to work with a counselor who collects a fee before providing you with any services or who accepts payment only by cashier’s check or wire transfer. In general, do not pay money to anyone unless you know exactly what services you will receive.

  3. Be wary of “guarantees.”
    A reputable counselor will not guarantee to stop the foreclosure process, no matter what your circumstances. Working with a legitimate counselor can certainly increase your chances of keeping your home—but be wary of people who promise a sure thing. Again, get the details of your transaction, along with any promises, in writing first.

  4. Know what you are signing—and be sure you sign it.
    Don’t let a counselor pressure you to sign paperwork you haven’t had a chance to read through carefully or that you don’t understand. Don’t sign any blank forms or let “the counselor” fill out forms for you. Be sure to talk with an attorney before signing anything that transfers the title of your home to another party.

  5. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    If you feel you may be the target or victim of foreclosure fraud, trust your instincts and seek help. For tips on spotting scam artists, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s webpage on foreclosure rescue scams ( Report suspicious schemes to your state and local consumer protection agencies, which you can find on the Federal Citizen Information Center’s Consumer Action Website (

page break image

Vacant/Abandoned Properties Impact Everyone

The City of Glendale is no different than other communities across the nation in that it is being impacted by the current housing market.  As mortgage foreclosures continue to increase, some homeowners are seeking information on financial assistance programs, while others are concerned with the effect of vacant/abandoned homes on their neighborhood and property values.

A vacant or abandoned home can have a negative impact on a neighborhood.  The longer the vacancy, the greater the possibility of the property becoming unkempt, attracting criminal activity, and serving as a destabilizing factor on the rest of the neighborhood.

Glendale residents are encouraged to report abandoned/vacant properties, particularly if they become concerned about a safety hazard, property maintenance issue or a suspicious activity occurring on the property. The city has a number of programs and resources to help residents maintain neighborhoods.

page break image

Contacts for Neighborhood Concerns

Report Property Maintenance Issues: 623/930-3610

It’s important to track vacant/abandoned homes. If you notice an abandoned home or maintenance issue in your neighborhood or suspect after 10 days of no activity that it’s vacant, contact the Glendale Code Compliance Department at 623/930-3610 or click here to use the on-line Request for Service form.

The city will take steps immediately to eliminate a safety hazard. General nuisance concerns, such as overgrown grass/weeds or trash/debris, will take longer, due to legal requirements. Usually, once the legal owner of record has been identified, a notice of violation and a minimum 30-day timeframe must be provided. If general nuisance violations are not corrected, the city may have the violations abated; the property cleaned and file a lien, which will charge the costs back to the property’s owner.

Assistance for Distressed Homeowners: 623/930-3670

The Community Revitalization Division can guide residents to several local non-profits who may be able to help them with services in a financial crisis. For a current list of social services funded by CDBG, click here. (PDF)

Report Suspicious Activity/Crime: 623/930-3000

  • Call 9-1-1: To report emergencies or criminal and suspicious activity that is in progress or occurring right now.
  • Call the Police Department's non-emergency number at 623/930-3000 for other concerns.
  • Call the Police Department's Community Action Teams (CAT) at 623/930-3380, for assistance with continued problems at the same location.
  • Also, call CAT about Neighborhood Watch, Crime Free Multi-Housing, GAIN, Blanket Trespass Authorizations, Business/Residential Security Surveys, and other crime prevention programs and assistance. Or click here for information on-line.

Tips for Neighborhoods: 623/930-2663

You can help to maintain the appearance of your neighborhood or HOA community and to deter crime. The first step is to keep a watchful eye on your neighborhood. By becoming a registered neighborhood, you can receive many services to revitalize your neighborhood. Click here to learn more.

If you live in an HOA and see property that may need attention, call your HOA property manager.

Neighborhood Tool Chest: 623/930-2663

For questions about neighborhood services, call 623/930-2663.  With the property owners’ permission, you may also organize clean ups of vacant and abandoned homes. The city also has a tool lending program available. Click here for more information.

Report Graffiti: 623/930-3080

To report graffiti on an abandoned home, call the Graffiti Removal Hotline at
623/930-3080 or click here to reach the Graffiti Busters On-line Hotline form.

This program is operated by the Field Operations Department.

page break image

New Law Protects Tenants Renting Foreclosed Homes

President Obama recently signed into law the Protecting Tenants in Foreclosure Act (S.896, P.L. 111-22). This federal law, which has already taken effect nationwide, extends protection to tenants in foreclosed homes.  What are your rights under this law?

Q.  If the property I am renting has been foreclosed on, can the new owners evict me right away? 

A. No.  The new law requires that tenants in foreclosed properties receive a 90-day notice prior to being evicted.  Specifically, the new law requires that, in the event of a foreclosure, the new owner must allow tenants with leases to occupy the property until the end of the lease term. 

There are three exceptions to this rule:

1) The lease can be terminated on 90 days notice if the unit is sold to a purchaser who will occupy the property. 

2) The lease has fewer than 90 days remaining. 

3) The tenancy is month-to-month or a tenancy at-will, in which case the new owners must provide the tenant with 90 days notice prior to eviction. 

Q.  What can I do if the new owner says that I have to leave in fewer than 90 days? 

A. New owners may not be aware of the new law.  If they attempt to evict you without honoring your lease or providing the required 90-day notice, inform them by certified mail of The Protecting Tenants in Foreclosure Act, which became law on May 20, 2009, and applies to state eviction proceedings.  Save the return receipt and a copy of the letter.

 Q. What if I am a Section 8 tenant?

A.  You have all of the rights listed above regarding your lease and the requirement that the owner give you a 90-day eviction notice.  In addition, the new law protects tenants receiving federal assistance.  If you are renting with Section 8 housing choice vouchers, your contract continues, and the foreclosure is not a lawful reason to terminate your lease.  If you have additional questions, contact your local public housing authority. 

More information: 

Notice to Landlords

If you are a landlord on a property that has been foreclosed, please be aware that the Community Housing Division (CHD) will no longer make any Housing Assistant Payments (HAP) to you upon notice that the property has been foreclosed. If we become aware that a HAP payment has inadvertently been made to you, you will be responsible for returning those funds back to the CHD.

If you are a new owner, and there is a Section 8 tenant occupying the property be aware that, under the new law, immediate successor owners of foreclosed properties in which Section 8 voucher recipients reside become participants in HUD’s Section 8 tenant-based voucher programs. Please contact the Glendale Housing Office so that we may make you a party to the HAP contract and issue your HAP payments.

Additional foreclosure-related resources are available at the Attorney General’s Foreclosure Resource Center located on the Attorney General’s Web site,, or at the Arizona Tenants Association Web site,   

Glendale, AZ - Welcome
Glendale, AZ
Contact Us   |   Brochures   |   History of Glendale   |   How to Get Around Glendale   |   Links   |   Press Room   |   Policies
© 2015 City of Glendale, Arizona